Friday, July 24, 2009

Just Joking

Many people were pleased when former Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf was replaced by Asif Ali Zardari, the widower of Benazir Bhutto. Musharraf was almost a dictator and exerted complete control over the press. He sometimes took television broadcasters off air when he was facing political opposition.

It seems that Asif Ali Zardari isn't much better. He has just made it a criminal offense to make fun of him. Pakistanis who send jokes by email, text message or blog ridiculing him risk arrest and a 14 year prison sentence.

Since I'm not Pakistani, I don't risk anything, so I'd like to post on this blog some Zardari jokes listed in the Daily Telegraph.

Zardari jokes:

* "Terrorists have kidnapped our beloved Zardari and are demanding $5,000,000 or they will burn him with petrol. Please donate what you can. I have donated five litres."

* To commemorate the ascension to the Presidency, Pakistan Post has officially launched a new stamp. But the people of Pakistan are confused which side on the stamp to spit on.

* Robber: "Give me all your money!"

Zardari: "Don't you know who I am? I am Asif Ali Zardari."

Robber: "OK. Give me all my money"

No comments: