Monday, July 13, 2009

Visas

I'm away in New Zealand and I don't have access to a computer. This accounts for the diminishing frequency of posts.

I want to say a few words about the new visa restriction that the Canadian government is imposing on Mexico and the Czech Republic. The government claims that the number of refugee claimants from those countries has increased to the point where a visa restriction is necessary.

I don't know about the situation in Mexico, but the idea of imposing visa requirements on the Czech republic makes absolutely no sense to me.

The Czech Republic is a democratic, relatively wealthy state that is part of the Schengen Agreement. Anyone residing in the Czech Republic can travel all through Europe to wealthy countries that include France, Germany, the Netherlands and many others. I understand that there are refugee claimants from the Czech Republic, but if wealthy European countries with a similar standard of living as Canada's let Czech citizens travel without any ID, I just can't see why on earth they should need a visa to come to Canada.

No comments: